UPDATE... as of June 11, 2020
We hope everyone is staying safe, healthy and with loved ones during these especially trying
We’d been holding out hope that the
Bruce Peninsula Multisport Race presented by
Bruce Power could proceed in 2020 as planned, however it’s become clear we won’t be able to
host the in-person event on the Bruce. The safety of participants and volunteers is our primary concern, and mass
participation events of this nature are simply not possible with this goal in mind. All of the
provincial, national and international guidelines recently released concerning the re-opening of
economies and resumption of extracircular activities have large gatherings either; “postponed
for the foreseeable future”, not permissible until a vaccine is widely disseminated, or
permissible only in the final phases of these plans, which are many many months away. We’re
sure you share in our extreme disappointment at having to make this decision.
The next BPMR is now scheduled to take place on August 7th,
2021. With respect to entries and fees paid we’re providing the following 3 options.
Please bear in mind we’re a non-profit organization with the goal of promoting,
supporting and advocating for outdoor sport initiatives. We have annual fixed costs and
derive 100% of our revenue from organizing these events.
Option 1. Deferral. Your entry will automatically be transferred to the August 7th, 2021
event. What do you need to do to defer your entry? Nothing, all entries from the 2020 event
will be automatically deferred to the 2021 event unless participants choose Option 2, or
Option 3 below.
Option 2. Donation. Some participants have inquired about donating their entry fee. All
donations will be directed to our 2020 grant recipient Ride Smart by New Hope
Community Bikes. In this instance we can donate 65% of your race entry, plus 100% of
any fees paid for canoe/kayak rentals, extra meals, or extra swag. You’ll receive a
charitable tax receipt for the amount of the donation. What do you need to do? Email
firstname.lastname@example.org your request to donate before August 8th, 2020.
Option 3. Refund. We’re able to provide a 65% refund for the race entry portion of fees
paid, plus 100% refunds for the cost of any canoe/kayak rentals, extra meals
purchased, or extra swag items purchased. We’re not able to refund the
transaction/system fee charged by Zone4, our registration provider. What do you need to
do? Email email@example.com your request for a refund before August 8th, 2020. Let us know if you’d prefer a cheque mailed, or interac etransfer sent along with the applicable address. For teams, please have only one person on the team request a
We’d especially like to thank Bruce Power and Owen Sound Subaru for their continued support during these unprecedented times. This support has permitted the
event to provide the options above and ensured we’ll be able to continue hosting the
event in future years.
We're still going to celebrate our 10th anniversary and engage our communities leading up to August 8, 2020.
After the initial disappointment of having to cancel the in-person festivities in Wiarton so as to not encourage travel and community spread of the virus, we reflected on the fact our event has always been a well-anticipated highlight of the community's summer. Our event consistently results in civic pride, encourages people to get out and active, and engages neighbouring communities that share in the geographically-expansive event.
We are now excited to refocus on that civic duty: lifting people's spirits in an otherwise dreary summer of social distancing, mental health challenges, and more. So...
1. We’re announced a virtual paddle-bike-run event we're calling the BPMRvv with a live, online and dynamic leaderboard. The link will follow in coming days, and will be posted both here and on our main page. The concept is for people to complete each portion of the challenge near their homes, and at their leisure, during the month of August and then upload their results/times. You will record faster times for the race stages (and possibly move up the standings!) as you record Personal Bests. This will be a free event and fun prizing will be awarded.
2. We are encouraging racers to continue training, as it builds fitness, but do so with social distancing in mind.
3. We will be focused on customer service for all 265 racers who registered for 2020 prior to the pandemic.
4. We are encouraging racers to obey all public health recommendations.
5. If there's an opportunity to do so, we are asking everyone to SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS, most of whom are small local businesses who would appreciate a purchase of a gift card if you have the opportunity to do so. You can always keep a gift card on hand for your upcoming gift giving!
Thank you all for your continued support and understanding. We appreciate every one
of our valued participants, volunteers and partners as we manage through this together. The organizing
team at BPMR loves nothing more than introducing participants to the natural beauty of the
Bruce Peninsula and seeing all those hard-earned, brilliant finish line smiles. These are
challenging times for us all, but with the support of our communities we are confident we will return to racing stronger than ever, when it is
safe to do so. See you on the BPMRvv leaderboard!
The BPMR Organizing Committee
Click here to find useful covid-19 links on Bruce Power's website